All Around Dev

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Career: Of Tables and Relations

So, I added a couple of tables to the ol database last night. Though I hit a problem. It's not a big problem, but it's an issue I'll have to solve because Vanilla Ice isn't here to. Because if I had a problem, yo he'd solve it...never mind.

I guess a bit more background info is needed now. As I stated last post, I am in the mists of creating a database with a front end to store my job contacts. The only user was going to be me. Personal information wasn't important. A little bit later, I decided it would be cool to expand it to include all my employment history, jobs, job contacts, references, the whole kabob so to speak. So, that's all good. I had a central contact table with pretty much everything else spoking off it. Then, I thought it would be cool if I had a person table which would include personal stuff. Then I was thinking if I'm gonna have a table with personal info, why not bust it out and make my DB good for multiple users. So I add those tables last night.

I was looking at the ER diagram and noticed a data flaw. See, I had intended to my contact table to own resumes and cover letters and what not. Which makes sense, kind of. But if you think about it, a person has a resume and cover letter, not a contact. But a person might have multiple versions as well. So now I'm thinking how to resolve this.

It will probably be better to have a person own zero or more contacts and each contact can have zero or one resumes and cover letters associated with it. Then a person can have zero or more resumes and cover letters. If that makes sense. If it doesn't, there's a nice MIS program taught at WSU Tri-Cities. ^_^ Damn..I just looked at their course listing for Fall 2006. Game development as a course. Oh...the rage......though I'm kind of happy to see it there. Sort of...

So, that's career right now. I realize that I should make these posts shorter so I can focus on the problems at hand. Need to learn how to avoid the long posts. o_O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home